Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Crunchy Granola


Good morning! When I eat this in the morning I feel like it's happily greeting me.  Fruit, Greek yogurt, and granola make me feel like I'm eating healthy.  I also love just the granola in some milk, mmm.  There's a lot of sugar, and some fat to bake it in, so unless you make a lower fat, lower sugar version, it's not really as healthy as you may think. :) Just don't eat a huge portion and I'd say you're safe. If I'm going to make granola, it's going to taste good, which most often means I'm not going to skimp out on the fat and sugar. To each his own! I like both the crunchy and chewy versions of granola but, for now, here's some crunch. This is going to make your home smell heavenly.  PS Don't forget it's in the oven, I'm really good at that.

Crunchy Granola

Makes 8-9 cups 

Ingredients

4 cups oats
2 cups chopped almonds
1 cup sweetened coconut
1-2 cups raisins and/or dried cranberries
1/2 cup sunflower seeds (optional)
1/8 cup chia seeds/flax seeds/wheat germ (optional)
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/8 cup maple syrup/agave 
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup oil
1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 tablespoon vanilla
pinch of nutmeg

Directions

Heat oven to 325 degrees
Stir together oats, almonds, seeds, and coconut.
Mix salt, sugar, syrup, honey, oil, cinnamon, vanilla, and nutmeg in microwaveable bowl.  Heat about 1 minute on high. Stir well.
Pour over oat mixture and stir until it's all coated.
Pour onto a large cookie sheet lined with parchment.  
Bake 30-40 minutes, stir every 10 or 15 minutes to avoid burning.  
Allow to cool and add raisins and dried cranberries.  



1 comment:

Mollie Photo said...

love homemade granola! looks so yum and cute