Monday, July 14, 2014

Applesauce Pudding


 

This is a family favorite of my in-laws and I have come to love it as well. It's a comfort food for me.  With cinnamon, apples, and cream, how could it not be? And it's so ridiculously easy to make. Is it pudding or is it cake? Well, it's a very moist cake. In the UK they ask, "What's for pudding?" (What's for dessert?) So, maybe this came from overseas and actually read more like, applesauce dessert? It's kind of like a bread pudding as well but not really haha. I'd have to ask my mother-in-law where she got the recipe, really, but either way I crave it pretty often. I'm partial to the no nut variety but either way, It's yummy. 

*I have made this with one cup applesauce and one cup finely grated Granny Smith apple, when my applesauce was gone. I tend to open a jar of applesauce thinking in advance I'd like to make this, then my kids eat too much applesauce and leave me with a minimal amount :)

Applesauce Pudding

One 9x13 pan

Ingredients

2 cups applesauce
1/4 cup melted butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon 
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
~1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)

2 cups cream + 2 tablespoons sugar

Directions

Preheat oven to 350
In a medium pour in all the wet ingredients. Mix well. 
Add all the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until just combined. 
Pour into a 9x13 glass baking dish
Bake 35-45 min until toothpick comes out clean.
Cool on a wire rack.
Whip the cream and sugar. 
Serve portions of pudding with a generous dollop of whipped cream.  


No comments: