Friday, April 25, 2014

Mediterranean Chicken Wrap



I have really been loving hummus lately. Strange for me because I used to not like it so much. I finally decided I needed to do something with the container I had in the fridge, other than just eat it with crackers.  So I whipped up some flatbread and got to cooking some chicken. It turned out pretty darn good.  My 3 year old even asked for leftovers for lunch the next day so I decided to post it. 

Mediterranean Chicken Wrap

Serves 4

Ingredients

3 chicken breasts 
1 clove garlic, smashed and chopped
1 tablespoon fresh thyme OR oregano leaves
Juice of 1 lemon
Salt and pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes
Toppings:
This Hummus or your favorite hummus (I've been loving roasted pine nut) 
1 cup sliced black OR green olives
3-4 leaves sliced romaine lettuce
1/2 English cucumber chopped
1/2 cup feta cheese
4-8 flatbreads or tortilla wraps

Directions

Place chicken in a gallon ziplock bag along with the garlic, thyme, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Pound the chicken to equal thickness if it's not already pretty even.  Allow it to marinate for the amount of time it takes you to chop and prepare all the toppings and heat a medium pan over medium-high heat -  or longer I'm just not that on top of it. 
When the pan is hot, pour the chicken into the pan along with the marinade. Brown one side of the chicken, about 7 minutes. Flip the chicken over and pour in the tomatoes. Allow the chicken to cook uncovered in the tomatoes until pretty much all the tomato juice has evaporated. We don't want a soggy wrap. Add a little more salt to taste. I also like to smash or cut the tomatoes a little with my spatula while they are cooking. 
Slice chicken and layer your wrap starting wih hummus, then chicken and tomatoes, lettuce, cucumbers, olives, and feta. Yum :)

No comments: