Sunday, April 27, 2014

Mexican Stewed Chicken


Trust me on this one. Sounds weird and looks weird but it's really good. Promise. My husband reminded me tonight it's one of his favorite meals that I make. I wish I had come up with it but we have Rachel Ray to thank for that. I have made this a few different ways and they have all turned out good. She originally uses chorizo but I have never been a big fan of it, or I have never had good chorizo. Who knows. But, a butcher suggested kielbasa to be a good substitute so that is what I have always used (yes, "hot dogs" again for my 3 year old. Gotta use up what's in the fridge :)).

I have a hard time deciding whether to eat this with a spoon or a fork. I guess you could shred the chicken after you cook it, or start with it cut up. But I like the rustic feel of having a whole thigh, or breast in my stew so I guess the the battle will continue. My husband likes this with rice while I prefer a big chunk of crusty bread to soak up all the good juices, so I try to have both on hand when I make it. I love having this as leftovers mmmm. Bless you Rachel Ray. 

Mexican Stewed Chicken adapted from Rachel Ray

Serves 6

Ingredients 

7 oz kielbasa diced
6-8 boneless skinless chicken thighs (I've used breasts as well)
2 tablespoons oil
1 cup white wine OR chicken broth 
1/2 onion diced
1 large red OR green bell pepper diced 
1 1/2 cups celery diced (same amount as onion combined with pepper)
1 carrot diced - optional
1 jalapeƱo sliced, (usually take half the seeds and ribs out to tone the heat down for my 3 yr old)
14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
1 can chicken broth
~3/4 cup green olive with pimentos OR black olives
Salt and pepper
Toppings: cilantro, avocado 
Eat with: rice, and/or crusty bread

Directions

Heat oil in a large deep pan over medium high heat.
Salt and pepper and brown chicken on both sides and remove to a medium bowl.
Brown kielbasa and remove to the bowl. 
Turn heat to medium.
Add all veggies to the pan and allow them to sweat and soften.
Pour in white wine to deglaze pan. 
Add chicken broth, tomatoes, and olives. 
Add a bit more salt and pepper to taste. 
Also add back to the pan the kielbasa and chicken to cook through- about another 5 min or so. 
Serve with rice and/or bread. 
Top with cilantro and/or avocado.









No comments: