Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Kale and Sweet Potato Hash





My husband has a friend who just finished an Iron Man. Wow, do I feel lazy. He posted a picture of his lunch on Instagram one day and it looked good. Real good. So he inspired me to eat more veggies. Join with me by making this dish. It can be vegetarian as well, just leave out the kielbasa (aka hot dogs as my 3 year old calls them). I lured my little guy into wanting to eat it with "hot dogs" but it is yummy without them too. 

Kale and Sweet Potato Hash

Serves about 4

Ingredients 

3 Tbs olive oil - just to coat the pan
One lg sweet potato peeled and diced into cubes
3-4 small potatoes diced into cubes, I like to leave the skin on these
2 cups chopped purple cabbage
4 kale leaves, ribs removed and chopped
2 carrots diced 
1/2 small onion diced
1 clove garlic 
Juice if one lemon
7 oz  turkey kielbasa diced 
Salt and pepper

Directions

Heat oil in pan. Sauté potatoes over medium high heat about 10 min or so until tender. Add salt and pepper and stir often to avoid sticking if you aren't using a non stick pan.  I covered mine for about half the time to help steam them. Set aside. 

Add kielbasa, onions and garlic to the hot pan and stir often and let the onions get soft. Add the cabbage and kale and pour lemon juice over the top, stirring to coat. Cook until kale is just slightly limp, bright green and not soggy. Salt and pepper and stir in potatoes just to mix them together. You can do this part in a bowl if your pan is too small. 

Enjoy!

No comments: