Monday, November 23, 2015

Butter Toffee Popcorn


This popcorn is pretty addictive.  I didn't used to be quite a fan of toffee flavored anything but since I have now been married to my husband for 7.5 years, he has slightly converted me. Slightly.  I find myself seeing recipes and wanting them, needing them, in my life, when in the past I could have cared less and passed right by.  But, I really am a sucker for anything popcorn, besides the Jelly Belly popcorn flavored bean. That's just not right.  Back to this butter toffee popcorn.  It's for sure making its appearance on my neighborhood gift plate this year.  You can make it ahead of time, and its simple so no stress there.  I found this from treatssf, a lady I follow on Instagram. Her treats and goodies she makes are so pretty.  She has a blog too but I'm all about the pictures on Instagram.  She got the recipe for this popcorn from Cooks Country (of course the recipe is from them, its so good). I think the only difference are the nuts.  They suggest salted peanuts but I put in raw pecans that roasted in the oven, and I think that's what treatsf did too.  yum yum.

Butter Toffee Popcorn
Cook's Country
3 1/2 quarts

Ingredients

3 quarts popped popcorn (just shy of 1/2 cup un-popped)
10 Tbs unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
1/2 cup dark corn syrup
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp baking soda
1-2 cups raw pecan halves

Directions

Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 250 degrees. 
Grease large roasting pan and place popcorn in the pan.
Melt butter in a large sauce pan over medium/high heat. 
Add brown sugar, corn syrup, and salt and bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat to medium/low and simmer stirring occasionally until it's slightly thickened ~3 min.
Remove from heat, stir in vanilla and baking soda (it will foam)
Add nuts and pour over popcorn, toss to coat.
Bake, stirring occasionally until popcorn is deep golden brown and caramel has set.  1-1 1/2 Hours
Cool and serve.  
Store in an airtight container at room temperature up to about 5 days.

No comments: