Thursday, June 9, 2011

Basic Chili


I got this recipe a few years back from a college roommate of mine (Thanks Emily!).  It's her mom's recipe, but I don't think I have it exactly how she makes it because I didn't write it down.  It is delicious and versatile.  I frequently make taco salad with this or just eat it as is with a side of corn bread and honey.  I may have once made a little something called "travelin' tacos" also.  My elementary school would serve them using a bag of Fritos with a scoop of chili inside.  From grade school on, whenever I eat Fritos I always think of that haha.  

Chili 

serves about 4

Ingredients

1 lb Ground Beef
1/2 Yellow Onion, finely chopped
1/2 Green Pepper, chopped
1/2 Red Pepper, chopped
1, 28 oz Can of Diced Tomatoes
2 Cans of Beans, rinsed and drained (kidney and/or black)
1 to 1 1/2 Tbs Chili Powder
1/2 tsp Cumin
Couple dashes of Worcestershire
Salt and Pepper to taste

Directions

Brown the beef over medium-high heat, adding the onions and peppers when it is about half way cooked through.  
When the meat is browned and the onions soft, pour in the tomatoes and beans.
Season with spices and worcestershire.
Simmer, covered, on low for at least 20 minutes.

No comments: